Sunday, 14 April 2013

Spring Breakers


I went to see Spring Breakers a few days ago. It was mostly filled with confused teenagers thinking they'd bought a ticket to some kind of Wild Things/American Pie amalgamation and some people left, but I thought it was pretty great. Granted, I don't know much (anything) about the work of Korine but I gather that his preferred style of film-making is uncomfortable to the point of unenjoyable. It certainly worked here, as a sort of frenetically jarring social commentary. Generally I'm a fan of anything that makes a feature of its cinematography - besides Terrence Malick - mainly because I like to look at pretty things and also because for a medium that's as visual as film is, it's ridiculous not to. It's the kind of film you find yourself thinking about for the next few days, still not sure if you loved it or hated it, struggling to articulate a coherent paragraph of your opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment